Dissette Windows: two windows into Irvington history
Once a building is demolished, it exists only in photographs, news articles, remembrances and possibly artifacts. The James Dissette mansion, which became the Pleasant Run Golf Course Clubhouse in the 20s, is such a building. Until recently the Irvington Historical Society had only photos and news articles. We just received two leaded glass windows thanks to Susan Bowman Cress.
The donor’s father obtained these when that fire-damaged structure was torn down in the 70s to make way for today’s modern building. She had fond memories of times spent at that clubhouse and on the golf course with her father, DeForrest Bowman. What she didn’t realize was that those windows were from the 1909 Dissette mansion designed by Indianapolis architect Adolph Sherrer in a Dutch Colonial style. It was quite a home and would have made a handsome clubhouse with its veranda and large open rooms.